GEM Corps Campus Ambassador
"As GEM Corps' STEM Education Outreach Specialist, I regularly saw the difference an outdoor educational lesson made for a student who was inspired for the first time when they learned the science behind that days fun STEM activity. I love being a part of an organization that can change so many lives through STEM!"
~ Abby Ruby 2020 AmeriCorps VISTA with Arizona Serve
~ Abby Ruby 2020 AmeriCorps VISTA with Arizona Serve
Thank you for your interest in applying for a position with GEM Corps.
Project #1025 - Campus Ambassador
AmeriCorps 300-Hour Position
3 Positions Available Statewide New Mexico
TRAINING: Members will undergo GEM Corps Orientation, AmeriCorps Orientation, meaning of National Service, Member Prohibited Activities, how to use your Education Award, Safety, and Leave No Trace trainings upon arrival.
- $4500 in non-taxable Living Allowance Stipends per year (equivalent to $15.00/hour)
- 10-hour OSHA General Industries Certification
- Participation in personal and professional development opportunities including resume building and mock interviews
- Professional training certificates
- $1,343 Segal Education Award to assist in paying for courses, books, academic related needs, or student loans.
The purpose of an AmeriCorps state member would be to access more middle school, high school, and college students in this mission. Through outreach events, social media, and classroom presentations, the organization can increase the number of students who know about GEM Corps and thus have access to further their own educational pursuits. They also want our AmeriCorps state member to benefit first hand from their field experience, so they can share their experiences with those they are reaching and ultimately further their personal and professional development as well.
Project Focus Areas and Activities
Outreach: The member will table at outreach events and activity fairs to promote our scholarship, internship, employment opportunities, and advocate for students entering STEM careers.
Project Development: The AmeriCorps member will assist in reaching out to members at local high schools, colleges, and universities to get them excited about and make them aware of GEM Corps opportunities and will assist in developing or interacting with students involved in local science clubs.
Project Implementation: The AmeriCorps member will give at least 10 presentations to students during their service term. The member will collect contact information of interest participants and help spread GEM's mission to students and teachers alike.
Field Experience: The AmeriCorps member will participate, when able, in field trips, on the job training, and vocational training experiences. The member will document and share, via social media, the presentations, and outreach events they are involved in and any lessons learned from these experiences.
Leadership Development: The participant will participate in projects that reveal leadership qualities of the individual. The project provides the opportunity for the participant to develop or personal apply responsibility in their work. The schedule of project work helps develop project management skills. The participant will also work with multiple stakeholders during their project, which will help the participant to develop communication skills, and provide for experience in navigating organizational hierarchies.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant must have a background in or an interest in a STEM related field; Have the ability to work as a part of a team or independently; have the ability to work with the public; and must be willing to submit to background clearance check prior to starting this position.
- Willing to accept responsibility in a dependable and flexible fashion.
- Ready to take initiative in doing assigned work without prompting and seeks out other tasks that help the team accomplish their collective goals.
- Completes work assignments in a safe, professional, and efficient manner.
- Works hard with a positive mental attitude, in all weather and terrain conditions maintaining safe working environment.
- Must be able to accurately recognize and assess dangerous work sites or activities to prevent injuries from happening.
- Must follow all Crew Leader, Project Supervisor, or Staff instructions regarding safety in the workplace.
Minimum Eligibility requirements for an AmeriCorps participant:
- Criminal History Check: NSOPW, and Federal/ State Criminal History Checks are required for before program involvement.
- Documentation proving right to work as a US Citizen, US National, or US Lawful Permanent Resident Alien.
- Have HS Diploma or agree to obtain diploma or GED prior to using Ed Award.
- To be at least 17 years of age at the commencement of service
If you're interested in applying, fill out and submit the online web-form below.
Alternatively, you can download the internship application form by clicking the link below.
Once complete, use the upload button provided below to submit your PDF Application with embedded attachments.
Be sure to read our Code of Conduct before submitting your application.
Any application or employment questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please fill out the online application below. You will be asked to attach several documents at the end of the application.