GEM Corps Research Assistant
"The internship program was great in teaching me about the job and helping me to understand all the different parts of it. Every part of the internship helped me not just in the STEM world,
but in learning things like interacting and working with others."
Thank you for your interest in applying for a position with GEM Environmental.
Project #1022 - COP Research Assistant
AmeriCorps Reduced Half Time 675-Hour Position
1 Position Open in Prescott, Arizona
TRAINING: Members will undergo GEM Corps Orientation, AmeriCorps Orientation, meaning of National Service, Member Prohibited Activities, how to use your Education Award, Safety, and Leave No Trace trainings upon arrival.
- 10-hour OSHA General Industries Certification
- Participation in personal and professional development opportunities including resume building
- Professional certificate training
- $2380 Segal Education Award to assist in paying for courses, books, academic related needs, or student loans.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The City of Prescott and GEM Environmental are seeking an individual interested in researching control methods for managing noxious and invasive weeds and presenting their findings to the City of Prescott’s City Council.
The City uses many control methods for managing noxious and invasive weeds, including chemical herbicides. This research assistant will be tasked with learning about current control methods used by The City and researching these methods and possible alternatives. They will complete a cost analysis which shows the costs of current methods being used and the cost of alternative methods. The research assistant will investigate potential grant opportunities that the city might utilize to fund a transition to alternative control methods. At the end of their term, the research assistant will present their findings to the City Council and make recommendations for moving forward.
This position is offered through GEM Environmental NFP in partnership with the City of Prescott where participants will be serving through GEM Corps as an AmeriCorps Research Assistant.
CLERICAL AND FIELD WORK: To prepare and submit detailed reports of data collected; to assist in the collection, storage, and maintenance of field data; to perform GIS manipulation and analysis, create maps, as well as assist or take lead on other office and field related functions.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: The participant will participate in rigorous projects that focus skills and reveal the work qualities of the individual. The project provides the opportunity for the participant to develop or apply personal responsibility in their work. The rigorous schedule of the project helps develop project management skills. The participant will also work with multiple stakeholders in their project, which will help the participant develop communication skills, and experience navigating organizational hierarchies.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant must be able to complete the term without interruption; they must have a background in and have taken classes in environmental studies, geology, geography, or related earth science field; have the ability to work in both a team environment and individually; and possess a strong will to impact change through science.
- Willing to accept responsibility in a dependable and flexible fashion.
- Ready to take initiative in doing assigned work without prompting and seeks out other tasks that help the team accomplish their collective goals.
- Completes work assignments in a safe, professional, and efficient manner.
- Works hard with a positive mental attitude, in all weather and terrain conditions maintaining safe working environment.
- Must be able to accurately recognize and assess dangerous work sites or activities to prevent injuries from happening.
- Must follow all Crew Leader, Project Supervisor, or Staff instructions regarding safety in the workplace.
Minimum Eligibility requirements for an AmeriCorps participant:
- Criminal History Check: NSOPW, and Federal/ State Criminal History Checks are required for before program involvement.
- Documentation proving right to work as a US Citizen, US National, or US Lawful Permanent Resident Alien.
- Have HS Diploma or agree to obtain diploma or GED prior to using Ed Award.
- To be at least 17 years of age at the commencement of service
If you're interested in applying, fill out and submit the online web-form below.
Alternatively, you can download the internship application form by clicking the link below.
Once complete, use the upload button provided below to submit your PDF Application with embedded attachments.
Be sure to read our Code of Conduct before submitting your application.
Any application or employment questions may be directed to email@example.com
Please fill out the online application below. You will be asked to attach several documents at the end of the application.