GEM AML Monitoring and Mapping Program
"The internship program was great in teaching me about the job and helping me to understand all the different parts of it. Every part of the internship helped me not just in the STEM world,
but in learning things like interacting and working with others."
Thank you for your interest in applying for a position with G.E.M. Environmental.
Project #1010 - Geographer's Assistant
AmeriCorps RHT 675-Hour EAP Position
4 x Positions Available - Statewide New Mexico out of the BLM Socorro Field Office (SFO)
TRAINING: Members will undergo GEM Environmental Orientation, AmeriCorps Orientation, meaning of National Service, Member Prohibited Activities, how to use your Education Award, Safety, and Leave No Trace trainings upon arrival.
PROGRAM BENEFITS: Upon successful completion of their term, members will be eligible to receive the following.
- $5000 Living Allowance Stipend
- $2,360 Segal Education Award upon successful completion
- Two-year PLC non-competitive federal hiring status eligibility following completion of service
- 30 hour OSHA General Industries Certification
- Participation in personal and professional development opportunities including resume building and mock interviews
- Professional training certificates
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The New Mexico BLM Abandoned Mine Land (AML) program is tasked with identifying abandoned mine features throughout the state of New Mexico. The participant will serve on a team that identifies and records abandoned mine features on public lands in New Mexico. Mining features will be recorded using Global Positioning System (GPS) tools with ArcGIS software where data are then downloaded to a master ArcGIS file and processed in a BLM database. Most of the survey work is done on foot in terrain that is often steep and extremely rugged. Crews will identify mining related features in a survey of a mineral district where they methodically traverse the area searching for features such as audits, shafts, trenches, structures, prospects, and waste/ overburden dumps. At no point will the participant access or enter mining features while on project or be asked to participate in activities that exceed assumed safety risks associated with recreational access as prescribed in resource management plans of federal agencies with surface management responsibilities and all participants will be required to follow safety guidelines administered by OSHA and MSHA. This position is offered through G.E.M. Environmental NFP in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management where participants will be serve through GEM as a Geographer's Assistant. The position may require the participant to travel and stay for prolonged periods in a field camp setting with limited access to resources or facilities on unimproved public land.
CLERICAL AND FIELD WORK: To prepare and submit detailed reports of data collected; to assist in the collection, storage, and maintenance of field data; to perform GIS manipulation and analysis, create maps, as well as assist or take lead on other office and field related functions.
FLEET MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE: Duties include the service and maintenance of fleet vehicles and equipment both at the shop or in the field setting and the participant will be tasked with recording maintenance logs and ensuring that regular preventative maintenance occurs; to preform diagnostics and telematics, and make any required repairs necessary to ensure safe vehicle operations.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: The participant will participate in rigorous projects that focus skills and reveal the work qualities of the individual. The project provides the opportunity for the participant to develop or apply personal responsibility in their work. The rigorous schedule of the project helps develop project management skills. The participant will also work with multiple stakeholders in their project, which will help the participant develop communication skills, and experience navigating organizational hierarchies.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant must be a recent graduate who is able to complete the term without interruption; they must have a background in and have taken classes in geology, geography, or related earth science fields; have some experience in or be willing to quickly learn GIS applications for recording and collecting data; Have the ability to work in both a team environment and individually; have the ability to work with the public; applicant must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record; applicant will undergo a government security background clearance prior to starting this position.
- Willing to accept responsibility in a dependable and flexible fashion.
- Ready to take initiative in doing assigned work without prompting and seeks out other tasks that help the team accomplish their collective goals.
- Completes work assignments in a safe, professional, and efficient manner.
- Works hard with a positive mental attitude, in all weather and terrain conditions maintaining safe working environment.
- Must be able to accurately recognize and assess dangerous work sites or activities to prevent injuries from happening.
- Must follow all Crew Leader, Project Supervisor, or Staff instructions regarding safety in the workplace.
Minimum Eligibility requirements for an AmeriCorps participant:
- Criminal History Check: NSOPW, and Federal/ State Criminal History Checks are required for before program involvement.
- Documentation proving right to work as a US Citizen, US National, or US Lawful Permanent Resident Alien.
- Have HS Diploma or agree to obtain diploma or GED prior to using Ed Award.
- To be at least 17 years of age at the commencement of service
If you're interested in applying, fill out and submit the online web-form below.
Alternatively, you can download the internship application form by clicking the link below.
Once complete, return your form and required materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to read our Code of Conduct before submitting your application.
Any application or employment questions may be directed to email@example.com
Please fill out the online application below. You will be asked to attach several documents at the end of the application.